Students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Spanish & Portuguese choose a concentration based on general area of interest. Listed below are the prerequisites and requirements for each of the four concentrations. Please meet with the Undergraduate Advisor if you are unsure about which concentration is the right fit for you. All courses within the major must be taken for a letter grade, and a major GPA of 2.0 must be maintained.
- CONCENTRATION A: THE LANGUAGES, LITERATURES & CULTURES OF THE SPANISH-SPEAKING WORLD
- CONCENTRATION B: THE LANGUAGES, LITERATURES & CULTURES OF THE PORTUGUESE-SPEAKING WORLD
- CONCENTRATION C: LATIN AMERICAN LANGUAGES, LITERATURES, AND CULTURES
- CONCENTRATION D: HISPANIC LANGUAGES, LINGUISTICS, AND BILINGUALISM
Concentrations A, C, and D: Spanish 1-4 (or their equivalents), and 25
Concentration B: Portuguese 50
CONCENTRATION A: THE LANGUAGES, LITERATURES & CULTURES OF THE SPANISH-SPEAKING WORLD
This option is recommended for students interested in the languages, literatures, and cultures of the Hispanic World on both sides of the Atlantic. Spanish is required for this option, and Portuguese and Catalan are optional.
▪ Spanish 104A or Spanish 107A
▪ Spanish 104B or Spanish 107B
▪ Spanish 135W
▪ Three upper division elective courses in Spanish or Spanish-American Literature/Culture
▪ Two upper division elective courses in any Spanish, Portuguese, or Catalan topic
CONCENTRATION B: THE LANGUAGES, LITERATURES & CULTURES OF THE PORTUGUESE-SPEAKING WORLD
This track is recommended for students interested in the language, literature, and culture of the Portuguese-speaking world, and may include up to two upper division electives in Spanish. Portuguese is required for this option, and Spanish is optional.
▪ Portuguese 102
▪ Portuguese 103
▪ Portuguese 104
▪ Five upper division electives: A minimum of three courses on Portuguese/Brazilian topics, and a maximum of two courses on Spanish/Spanish-American Literature/Culture, Hispanic Linguistics, or Advanced Composition
CONCENTRATION C: LATIN AMERICAN LANGUAGES, LITERATURES, AND CULTURES
This track is recommended for students interested in the languages, literatures, and cultures of both Spanish-speaking and Portuguese-speaking Latin America. It requires coursework in both Spanish and Portuguese, which makes possible comparative approaches to the culture, literature, and history of the region.
▪ Portuguese 103
▪ Portuguese 104 or 128
▪ Spanish 104A or 104B
▪ Spanish 135W
▪ Two electives in Spanish, Spanish-American, Brazilian, or Portuguese Literature/Culture
▪ Two electives in any upper division Spanish or Portuguese topic
CONCENTRATION D: HISPANIC LANGUAGES, LINGUISTICS, AND BILINGUALISM
This track is recommended for students interested in the linguistic structure of Spanish and/or Portuguese, bilingualism in society, and/or a career in K-12 foreign language teaching, as well as for future graduate students in (Hispanic) Linguistics. Spanish is required for this option, and Portuguese and Catalan are optional.
▪ Spanish 100
▪ Spanish 161
▪ Spanish 162
▪ Spanish 163
▪ Spanish 164
▪ One elective in Hispanic Linguistics (Spanish 101, 165, or 166)
▪ One elective in Linguistics (upper division from Linguistics or another foreign language department, or UGIS 120)
▪ One elective in any upper division Spanish, Portuguese, or Catalan topic
DECLARING THE MAJOR
You can receive pre-major advising at any time from the Undergraduate Advisor, Jenny Cole: email@example.com. You can declare the major when you have completed the prerequisites, which you must take for a letter grade.
Single Major: To declare a single major in Spanish & Portuguese, please email the Undergraduate Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Double Major: To declare a double major, first download a double major packet from the College of Letters & Science website here. You will need to prepare a four-year plan, get signatures from the advisor in both departments, and then email the paperwork to the College of L&S for final approval and processing: email@example.com