Funding and Fellowships

All students, except foreign students, applying for Fellowships or Financial Aid are REQUIRED to complete the FAFSA form (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) available in 201 Sproul Hall.

A variety of fellowships and fee grants are awarded to graduate students throughout the year. Fellowship fund sources fall into three categories: Departmental, Graduate Division, and Other. It is the student’s responsibility to identify appropriate sources of support and meet all deadlines. For further information, please refer to the fellowships bulletin-board located outside the Graduate Assistant’s office (5309 Dwinelle).

Departmental Fellowships

Applications and supporting materials must be submitted at the S&P Graduate Office, 5309 Dwinelle.

Chancellor's Dissertation Year Fellowship

UC Dissertation Year Fellowship

Mentored Research Award

Available mid-January. Deadline February 15th.
Summer Research Projects Available February. Deadline March 15th.

All of the above fellowships are processed by the Department. 

*Funding for non-resident tuition is not available to students beyond the Normative Time period for the program in which they are enrolled; that is, 6 years in the Ph.D. program in Romance Languages and Literatures, and 6 years in the Ph.D. program in Hispanic Languages and Literatures.

International graduate students advanced to candidacy have a maximum of three years of non-resident tuition waiver. If they exceed this time, student will have to pay the full non-resident tuition cost on their own.

Conference Travel

This support is available to students whose conference papers deal directly with the dissertation. Students must be advanced to candidacy to be eligible for support. A maximum of $350 per year may be reimbursed for travel, lodging and meals. Request must be approved by the Chair of the department prior to attending the conference. This application must be accompanied by a photocopy of the invitation or acceptance of the paper, and by a letter from the Chair of the dissertation committee confirming that the paper is related to the dissertation.


Fall/Winter travel September 30th. Students will be notified by October 15th.
Spring travel February 1st. Students will be notified by February 15th.
Summer travel 30 days prior to travel.

Click here to download the application.

Summer Research Grants

Call for summer research projects will be announced by mid-February. Students can apply for a maximum of $3,000 to fund their summer research. Applications will be judged according to intellectual excellence and achievement in the field. The request should be geared towards academic progress. Grants may be applied to the following categories:

  • Foreign Language Study
  • Attending summer courses related to one’s specialization and/or research projects.
  • Travel and stipend for Pre-Dissertation or Dissertation Research.


  • Students with more than one incomplete are not eligible to apply
  • For students who have received summer funding from the department in a prior year, please attach a report to your application describing your use of the funds (@300 words).

Priority will be given to candidates who have not received summer support in the past. Applicants are strongly encouraged to look for other sources of funding (CLAS, IAS, PSP, Townsend, etc.). Special attention will be given to applications seeking matching funds.

DEADLINE: Submit your request to the Graduate Advisor by mid-March.

Support for MLA Candidates

The Department will provide support to candidates interviewing at the annual MLA Conference. Total amount reimbursed will be announced by mid-November.

Graduate Division Fellowships

Applications available in the Graduate Fellowships Office, 318 Sproul Hall. For a full listing, click here.

Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships Deadline mid-February.

Applications for the following fellowships are available in the Graduate Fellowships Office: Bancroft Library Study, Phi Beta Kappa Scholarships, Mabelle McLeod Lewis, Ford Foundation Minority Doctoral, Fulbright and Grants for Graduate Study Abroad, Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Grants.

Conference Travel Grants

Awards to allow Ph.D. and Master’s students in academic degree programs to attend professional conferences (professional programs are not eligible). Applicants must be presenting a paper or poster on their research at the conference they are attending.

Doctoral Completion Fellowship

The Doctoral Completion Fellowship (DCF) provides an incentive for students in certain graduate programs, to complete their degree within a reasonable time. Doctoral students who advanced to candidacy will be eligible for two semesters of fellowship (stipend and fees).

The fellowship can be used during any semester within the remaining normative time established for the major, plus one more year (can’t exceed 7 years). They must be registered by university deadlines in the semester(s) they intend to receive this fellowship. For more information, go to the Fellowship office, 318 Sproul Hall.

Other Sources

Doreen B. Townsend Center for the Humanities Available early October, 460 Stephens Hall.
Extramural Fellowships Consult The Grants Register and the Annual Register of Grant Support in 318 Sproul Hall.
Fellowship Index Located in 318 Sproul Hall. (Lists fellowships by general subject area.)

Financial Aid

Graduate students may apply for need-based loans and work-study through the Graduate Financial Aid Office located at 201 Sproul Hall (642-0485). Under federal guidelines all graduate students are considered independent, so unless they receive other funding which meets the standard student budget, most students are eligible for some type of financial aid. In order to receive aid, students must also be enrolled and be making satisfactory academic progress toward their degrees.

For more information, visit the Financial Aid office.