Financial Aid

The Graduate Division administers most merit-based financial awards through the Graduate Fellowship Office (318 Sproul Hall, (510) 642-0672). Need-based financial assistance is awarded through the Financial Aid Office (201 Sproul Hall, (510) 642-0485).

Qualified students in certain literatures may also apply for Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships. Students interested in other award sources are encouraged to read the literature issued by the Fellowship Office of the Graduate Division (318 Sproul Hall), which describes various restricted fellowships and outside grants. Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form is required for all students, except foreigners. It is usually due at the beginning of March.

Fellowship for New Students:

Multi-year University-sponsored fellowships are awarded through an annual campus wide competition administered by the Graduate Fellowship Office. Departments select nominees for fellowships from prospective applicants. 

Graduate Student Instructorship:

Applications for Graduate Student Instructorships for the teaching of Spanish, Portuguese, and Catalan are accepted from applicants newly seeking admission to a graduate program as well as from continuing graduate students. Formal appointment for students new to the University cannot be accomplished, however, until confirmation of admission is received from the Graduate Division.

Applications are reviewed and evaluated by a departmental committee according to the following criteria:

  • The quality of the student’s academic record;
  • The quality of the student’s previous training or abilities with Spanish, Portuguese, or Catalan as languages, as evidenced in part by a submitted tape of a set reading passage; and
  • The quality of the student’s previous record (if any) of teaching any of those three languages at the college level, as reflected both in student and supervisory evaluation

Financial Aid

Graduate students may apply for need-based loans and work-study through the Graduate Financial Aid Office located at 201 Sproul Hall (642-0485).

Under federal guidelines all graduate students are considered independent, so unless they receive other funding which meets the standard student budget, most students are eligible for some type of financial aid.

In order to receive aid, students must also be enrolled and be making satisfactory academic progress toward their degrees.