10-11:15 Keynote Session, 370 Dwinelle
Welcoming Remarks: Nuno Mathias – Consul of Portugal
– Steffen Dix (Universidade Católica Portuguesa): “1915/Orpheu – Disturbing timings and improper expressions”
Respondent: Sebastião Edson Macedo (UC Berkeley)
11:15-11:30 Coffee Break
11:30-1 Poetic Exchanges and Outreaches, 370 Dwinelle
– Ricardo Vasconcelos (San Diego State University): “Fernando Pessoa, Mário de Sá-Carneiro and the Modernist Blague”
– Inês Pedrosa (Portugal): Writer
Moderator: Krista Brune (UC Berkeley)
1-3 Lunch Break
3-4:30 Sounds and Images of Modernism, 201 Moses Hall
– Vincent Barletta (Stanford University): “Rhythm and (Orphean) Modernism”
– Duarte Pinheiro (UC Berkeley): Presentation of the exhibit
Moderator: Deolinda Adão (UC Berkeley)
The exhibition Orpheu: 100 Anos, curated by the Instituto Camões, will also be on display until November 15th in 201 Moses.
Thanks to the Portuguese Studies Program, the Institute of European Studies, the department of Spanish and Portuguese, the Townsend Center for the Humanities, the Instituto Camões, and the Fundação Luso-Americana for their support of this conference.